Give S.W.A.T. A Try To Help With Your Technology Needs

Daegan Farley, Journalist

Mr. Tranchina is the advisor of the TOIS S.W.A.T. team. The S.W.A.T. team is for 6th through 8th graders who want to learn how to use technology better and help others that need help with technology problems. The S.W.A.T. team is located in the IMC and there are meetings every Wednesday.

Mr. Tranchina has been teaching since 2008. He started his career at Long Branch Middle School as a math teacher. He has been in TOIS for 8 years and has been a technology specialist since 2017. He likes teaching about technology, math, and sports. He has a 5 year-old daughter named Caroline, and a 3-year-old son named Dean. Outside of school, he likes hanging out with his family, exercising, watching football and movies, surfing, snowboarding, and reading.

He started the S.W.A.T. team in 2019 to continue working with kids even after he had stopped doing classroom work. “When I left the classroom and became a tech specialist, I missed working with students. The SWAT Team was my way of staying connected to the kids, but also helping me do my job better.” Aside from being the advisor of the S.W.A.T. Team, he is also on the School Improvement panel, where he works to plan the professional development days for teachers. He created the S.W.A.T. to honor the tech skills that students have and put them to work. “The S.W.A.T. Team is about honoring the technology skills that students have, and putting them to work to make the school’s technology program better. Also, students have a unique perspective with regards to technology that a lot of adults aren’t typically aware of. I feel everyone in the school should have some say in how the school operates, especially students!” He got some help making the S.W.A.T. team from Mr. Huston. What he finds difficult about technology is that it’s always changing. “It’s always changing! Once I think I’ve mastered something, it updates and I’ll need to learn something new. So it keeps me on my toes.” 

Mr. Tranchina also runs a technology help desk near the Makerspace. “I’m so grateful to all the SWAT Team members who came out for our club! Thank you!”