The Spartan Times

The Student News Site of Ocean Township Intermediate School

The Spartan Times

The Spartan Times

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

TikTok Shop is a Big Problem For Teens in the U.S.

Lately, Tik Tok has had a new feature called Tik Tok shop. Teens in the U.S. are obsessed with it and selling products off of it. Although this seems like a smart choice for teens to be making money, this could lead to some unwanted consequences. Teens are allowed to sell merchandise if they are 18 and up, but some kids are pretending to be older and are selling products in between classes at their school when they are not supposed to. They show videos of themselves dancing with the product on and put text over the video saying “Buy this product” in so many different ways to get viewers interested in buying the item. 

A Tik Tok representative states, “As Tik Tok shop rolls out in the U.S., we continue to evolve our safeguards and are taking steps to address the issue.” 

According to NBC news,  “…six Tik Tok accounts that have published dozens of Tik Tok shop videos over the past two weeks. The creators all identified publicly as under the age of 18.”

Officials have to do something about this because Tik Tok is becoming a big problem in the U.S. and maybe other countries. Especially because of how dangerous TikTok already is. TikTok has a lot of potentially harmful content geared towards teenagers within minutes of them creating an account.

Not only are underage teens currently selling on TikTok, but TikTok is removing products that violate it’s Terms of Service, but scammers can easily get through the cracks and are selling non existent products, which is making it dangerous for anyone especially kids.