The Spartan Times

The Student News Site of Ocean Township Intermediate School

The Spartan Times

The Spartan Times

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

FIMA National Alert: Things People Want To Know

The Federal Emergency Management Agencies (FEMA) announced a United States national alert would go off on all cell phones, TV’s, and radios on Wednesday October 4, 2023, at 2:20 p.m. ET. The alert sounded like an amber alert and will say “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.” 

FEMA is required to do at least one test every three years because of the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System/(IPAWS) Modernization Act of 2015 (Public Law 114-143). These tests are required because they want to make sure that if a nationwide emergency happens, the president can contact the country.

CBS News stated that, “Russia tested its own emergency public warning system on Wednesday, sounding sirens across the country and interrupting some television and radio broadcasts, Reuters reported.” This is an example of an emergency broadcasting system but the USA did it differently.

CBS news tells us, “The emergency alert messages that made up the test were divided into two groups — the Emergency Alert System for radios and televisions, and the Wireless Emergency Alerts for wireless phones — although both happened at once.” 

There are many conspiracy theories about the national alert system. One of the conspiracy theories is that the alert will activate a deadly disease that will turn people into zombies. People are saying that the frequency will release nanoparticles that will turn people into zombies. Another conspiracy theory was that something bad will happen. People thought that they were testing the system to make sure it works when this thing happens. It struck fear through many people thinking that some terrible disaster was going to happen.